Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Church and State

We live an a society supposedly built on religious freedom. Now, freedom means liberation - both to and from. Freedom to have your own religion. Freedom from someone else's religion. So, why then was it ever legal to proselytize Christianity in our institutional civil society? And is still practised today. Hold your beliefs, that is your right and freedom, but do not infringe upon my rights by projecting your agenda on my life. Should your standards act as a bench mark to mine? This is what turns me off to Christianity. And I am a follower of Jesus. Did Jesus condemn, or even persuade people into his system of belief? It seems he lived a certain lifestyle and that lifestyle inspired others to know him closer.
In class today I was demonized infront of everyone, for a comment I made, by a right-wing, fundamentally conservative, pentacostal, proselytizing Christian Professor! And did I back down? Never. I fired back with an equally relevant caliber of ammunition. She was left with nothing to say. Because I proved to her, that in the end, the answer is unknowable. You'll have your idea, I'll have mine. This is why freedom of religion is absolutely necessary in a healthy society. If any one religion was correct, or if even the belief in a God was undeniable, it would be a different story. There would be no reason not to believe, if it was empirically true. There would, however, be a whole list of new things to question. Nonetheless, any belief in God, or disbelief in God, is a statement of "faith." Faith is purely a personal experience. Jesus alludes to this notion of faith when he heals the woman with a blood condition, after she has reached out to touch him, saying to her "your faith has made you well."
We must exhibit an abundance of tolerance, coupled with a living out of our beliefs. Oh, hell yeah.

2 comments:

John Williams said...

Amen... I would go as far to say that i do not consider myself to be a Christian-the word alone sends shivers up my spine-but rather i would call myself a follower of "Jesus" who ever that is, i fear he has been lost over the centuries, lost in the midst of law, war and fundementalism. I agree with you on the freedom of religion, it is odd how "Christianity" is shoved down the throat of the masses, it is distrubing and what is more disturbing is that is "accepted". A Christian nation we are not... We push values (anti-homosexuality-anti-choice-pro-war-pro-consumerism) upon society, which when reading the biblical text, these values can not be found... do not get me wrong, i am pro-life, but pro-life in every aspect. I also use practices from other religions to deepen my own experience with God, does this make me a heretic? I think not... i think it makes sense, when we start to preach that Jesus is the only way to heaven, in my opinion we begin to head down a very slippery sloap...Where we play God, using exclusivness, hate and pride in condeming others to hell... what is hell???? anyways???... so, peace, cant waith to see you dude, JohnIV

BlueRing said...

But then again if someone has the belief that Christianity is the one and only religion that is true and right then who are you to judge them on their own personal belief? Are you not also doing the same deed that they have done to you in their minds but to them? It is a reciprocating deal, this one of judging others and being judged.
So they judge you for being a partial believer, a drifter...and you judge them for believeing what they were taught is right, what they believe.?

Oh and to John, Christianity does not truly push 'its' values. Instead it does what it pleases, following the easy rules but refusing to acknowledge the ones which they are not pleased with.
And have you truly explored the depths of the whole bible to be able to say that they are not found there, these values? I would think not, because for everyone there is a different meaning. So many years could it take to 'see the light' that the bible offers, that it makes me doubt the statement you made.
Not all religions use hate, pride nor do they all condemn other's beliefs. There are few but its true. Just because some religions think another religion might possibly be wrong does not mean that they are playing the role of God, but rather they truly and strongly believe in their own beliefs which, when it comes down to it, is what believeing in something for yourself is all about, no?
Oh and there is no such things as a literal hell...in my belief. But as previously said, that is just my point of view and, see, I need not enforce my beliefs upon you but rather let you think there is if that is what you want.

Now, with the regards with your comment. Laugh? Not so much but rather a slight chuckle.
Um yes, I did make it happen and I was proud of it. Though I did wind up fighting with a friend on the day of because the competition got to both of us, though mostly to me it was the idea of people being disapointed though I tried my best to make it good.
From what people said, they enjoyed it a great deal and wish for me to make another one sometime soon. Instead I'm planning an extensive trip with some friends.

Have a lovely week, though from your latest post it seems that is not much of a reality.

~BlueRing